Jump to Navigation

Los Angeles Tax Debts Lawyers

In some cases, you can discharge state and federal income tax debts when you file Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Because the rules are complex, it’s important to consult an experienced bankruptcy lawyer before you file bankruptcy, as not all tax debts can be discharged.


At the Orantes Law Firm, in Los Angeles, attorney Giovanni Orantes is dedicated to helping individuals throughout Southern California obtain debt relief by filing bankruptcy. We offer a free initial consultation to look at the challenges you face and give you honest answers about your rights and options.


Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy and Tax Debts


You may discharge IRS and California personal income taxes if you meet the following requirements:


  • Your tax debt is more than three years old.
  • You filed income tax returns for those years, and you did so at least two years before your bankruptcy filing.
  • The IRS or state assessed the taxes more than 240 days before your bankruptcy filing.
  • You did not willfully evade income taxes.


Even if your tax debt is not dischargeable, you can still gain some advantages by filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy will allow you to put the tax debt into your repayment plan and pay it off over a three- to five-year period.


Contact Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney Giovanni Orantes


For more information about discharging tax debts in bankruptcy, call 213-389-4362 or contact us by e-mail to schedule a free initial consultation. Se habla español.

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.
Contact Information


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Latest Blog Posts

Need help? Email Us Here! Live Chat

← Prev Step

Thanks for contacting us. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Please provide a valid name, email, and question.

Powered by LivelyChat
Powered by LivelyChat Delete History